|Eugene’s formal instructions to Tempier, as he set out to visit the Oblates were backed up with a personal letter in which he discussed his concerns.
Writing about one of the young Oblates in the formation process we see Eugene’s loving concern for the welfare and growth of the scholastic, but also practical areas where a correction is necessary in order to become a holy missionary.
Letter to Henri Tempier, 16 July 1829, EO VII n 333
Eugene’s goal for each Oblate: to sanctify himself according to his vocation through everything that he does.
- IF YOU HAVE FAILED IN A TRIAL SO WEAK AS THIS, WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THE MIDST OF THE OBSTACLES OF A DIFFICULT MISSION? on
- THOSE WHO HAVE THE HABIT OF COMPLAINING WHEN IT IS A MATTER OF THEIR PERSONAL PREFERENCE on
- LAITY ASSOCIATED WITH THE OBLATES IN MISSION AND IN SPIRITUAL BENEFITS on
- THE GENEROSITY OF OUR LAY ASSOCIATES on
- OUR DUTY IN RESPONSE TO THIS REMARKABLE FAVOUR IS TO NEGLECT NOTHING IN TRAINING RELIGIOUS WHO ARE FIT TO SERVE THE CHURCH AND SOCIETY on