THE YOUTH CONGREGATION BECOMES THE FIRST TO USE THE MISSION HOUSE IN AIX EN PROVENCE

We continue the narrative of the beginnings of the house in Aix en Provence – the place of birth of so many important aspects of our charism. The youth were the first to make use of the building. Thus the laity were the ones to prepare the way for the arrival of the missionaries! For nearly three years Eugene had given the best part of his time and energy to the youth, and the results were becoming visible: in this case shown in their Eucharistic devotion and life of prayer.

The choir that must serve as chapel for the Congregation was so profaned during the Revolution that it has been necessary to have it blessed. This blessing took place today very solemnly in the presence of the whole Congregation. Rev. Father Beylot, Capitular Vicar General, then celebrated the first Mass there at which a very large number of congregants had the happiness of receiving communion.
The Blessed Sacrament remained the whole day in the tabernacle, and that will be the rule every Sunday. There was perpetual adoration all day long. The congregants changed places every half-hour before the Blessed Sacrament. In the evening we said solemn Vespers. Then the Blessed Sacrament was exposed, the litanies of the Blessed Virgin and some other prayers were sung.

Diary of the Aix Christian Youth Congregation, 21 November 1815 – Feast of the Immaculate Conception in Aix, O.W. XVI

This entry was posted in DIARY and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *