We have seen how Eugene was inspired to change our name and the importance of this for our understanding of our identity. With this document, the change was officially recognized and the Church gave us the name of Oblates of Mary Immaculate.
POPE LEO XII
FOR FUTURE REMEMBRANCE OF THE MATTER
This being the situation, Our dear son Charles Joseph Eugene de Mazenod, Vicar General of the Bishop of Marseilles, Provost of the Chapter of the Canons of the Cathedral, and Founder of the said Society, has presented to Us a petition, humbly requesting Us, for the glory of God and the salvation of souls, to approve by Our Apostolic Authority, both this family and its Rules, and to honour it with the title of Missionary Oblates of the Most Holy and Immaculate Virgin Mary, so that it may not be confused with those other Societies which also bear the name of Oblates of St. Charles.
Therefore, having taken into consideration that this Society was enriched with indulgences by Pius VII, Our Predecessor, and by Ourselves, that its great usefulness has been recognised by many Bishops, and that it will prove no inconsiderable aid and ornament to the Church in her afflicted condition, We bestow Our highest praise on the zeal and solicitude of Charles de Mazenod himself, a man conspicuous for his virtues and erudition, who not only founded the Society, but still continues, to Our very great satisfaction, to labour strenuously for its advancement, and We, solely in view of these considerations, now absolve and hold as absolved in the future from all excommunications, interdicts and other ecclesiastical censures, sentences and penalties, in whatever manner or for whatever cause inflicted, both him and all others in whose favour this Letter is issued, if perchance they may have incurred any, and We hereby with a ready and willing mind, establish it, and wish it to be known by the name of the Congregation of the Missionary Oblates of the Most Holy Virgin Mary, conceived without sin.
…Given at Rome, at St. Peter’s, under the Fisherman’s Ring, on the twenty first day of March, 1826, in the third year of Our Pontificate.
Pope Leo XII
Apostolic Letter of Approbation, 21 March 1826, Missions O.M.I., n° 280 (1952), pp. 118, 138.
“To understand a name you must be acquainted with the particular of which it is a name.”